Welcome to NJ Healthy Homes! I’m so excited to learn more about living green and to share my findings with you all!
Since we had a bit of warm weather and Spring seems to be just around the corner- I thought I’d start the show with a post about Spring Cleaning! Whoooo! It’s a great time to get rid of clutter, get rid of bulk and clean up the mess. It’s also a great time to work on going green!
It’s hard to imagine but many of our everyday cleaning products can actually be harmful to our health, so this year, pledge (no pun intended, I swear!) to clean green! Here are some dangerous chemicals to watch out for and some tips on natural alternatives:
- Tripropylene Glycol Monomethyl is commonly used in floor cleaners and polishes and has been linked to kidney failure. Instead, use a mix of lemon juice and mineral or vegetable oil to polish your floors and furniture.
- Ammonium Chloride, used in toilet cleaner, can be permanently corrosive to the eyes. Instead mix baking soda and vinegar and let it soak!
- Fragrances used in many cleaning supplies and detergents can cause side effects such as headaches and respiratory irritation. To keep your home smelling fresh, try grinding up fresh lemons in the garbage disposal.
- Butyl Cellosolve, found in all-purpose and window cleaners, damages the nervous system, kidneys, liver and bone marrow; white vinegar and warm water will do the trick without the harmful side effects!
Okay, the point of this was not to scare you but, seriously, try these tricks this Spring to keep your home clean, healthy and happy! And don’t forget, open those windows! Out with the bad air and in with the good!